At Hundred of Hoo, we intend for a happy academy where everyone is valued and respected. To enable each child to achieve their full potential and make the most of the opportunities and choices offered to them, we intend to provide a secure and stimulating environment that promotes independence, self-esteem, health and well-being. Sessions take place in a fully inclusive environment with equal opportunities for all, and that all children should learn to value religious and cultural differences. Our children will be prepared for life in modern Britain and will be taught the importance of mutual respect, tolerance and democracy.
The PSHE curriculum, taught by following the Jigsaw scheme, alongside the whole curriculum, promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the academy. This leads to a consistently high level of pupil achievement, preparing pupils for the challenges, opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life. We intend that all children should enjoy their learning, achieve their potential and become independent life-long learners.
Throughout their time at Hundred of Hoo Academy, the children are given a range of opportunities to learn to prepare for all the opportunities, challenges, life decisions and responsibilities they may face in the future, where the promotion of their mental and physical development are of utmost importance.
Each year group uses the Jigsaw scheme, which ensures a wide breadth of learning opportunities for each key stage. These are spread across six ‘puzzle’ themes, this programme of study is progressive through year groups, so allows the children to build on skills, deepen their knowledge and gradually build up age-appropriate understanding.
- Puzzle 1 – Being Me in My World – Includes understanding my own identity and how I fit into the class, school and global community.
- Puzzle 2 – Celebrating Difference – Includes anti bullying (all forms) and understanding
- Puzzle 3 – Dreams and Goals – Goal setting, aspirations, who do I want to become and what would I like to do for work and how can I contribute to society
- Puzzle 4 – Healthy Me – Includes drugs and alcohol education, self esteem , life style choices including exercise, sleep and nutrition
- Puzzle 5 – Relationships – Includes friendships, family and other relationships, conflict resolution and communication skills
- Puzzle 6 – Changing Me – Includes coping with positive changes and RSE.
RSHE content is taught in age-appropriate, sensitive and informative ways using both the Medway agreed scheme of work and is supplemented by the Changing Me, Jigsaw unit of work. We believe that children should understand the facts about human reproduction before they leave primary school.
By the end of a child’s time at Hundred of Hoo, they will be happy, confident and responsible lifelong learners. They will be able to express themselves confidently, identify and explain their feelings and show development of emotional maturity. Children will be engaged in their learning, often leading to in-depth discussions where every voice is heard, and want to find out more.
Through our PSHE lessons and the wider curriculum, children will leave Hundred of Hoo as well-rounded individuals capable of making informed decisions. They will feel valued, equal, emotionally resilient and well-equipped to deal with all challenges that may face them in the future.