The Hundred of Hoo Academy was delighted to hold its first business mentor training in January 2019. Having had a superb response to a request for suitably interested volunteers, the group met to learn more about how the scheme will work and completed safeguarding and DBS checks.
Our volunteers, many of whom have an existing link to the school as alumni or indeed parents, discussed the many aspects of how a mentor can help to guide and inspire young people. Mentors will meet on a regular basis with either one or two year 12 students from now up until the end of year 13.
Business mentoring is a valuable opportunity for students to engage with an individual from the professional community who can share their expertise, provide a platform of academic and professional guidance, while also encouraging students to raise their aspirations.
For the students who participate in the programme we aim to:
- Develop self-confidence, self-belief and self-awareness.
- Raise their aspirations of their academic potential, future career and employment plans.
- Improve progress in their academic studies.
- Have access to a business professional who will expose them to career pathways.
- Develop a sense of well-being.
- To provide the students focus in regards to the next phase of their lives, which will hopefully bring many of the above aims together.
- To give them an idea of some of the things they may confront or experience when they are in the working world.
All mentors are trained by The Hundred of Hoo Academy which includes training on safeguarding children, as well as completing a statutory DBS check prior to starting the programme which is required of those working with children.
The student will need to attend all mentoring sessions, which will be organised by The Hundred of Hoo Academy Mentoring Coordinator. Sessions will last approximately one hour and will be a blend of virtually/in person twice a term.
We very much look forward to the progress of this first business mentoring scheme at the academy.
Our students need YOU
Would you like to use your business knowledge and life experience to help guide and inspire a young person?
We are currently recruiting volunteer mentors to work with young people at The Hundred of Hoo Academy. Mentoring would be online initially with the hope to become in person on occasion in the future. Full training including DBS checks and safeguarding would be given to mentors.
For an informal, no obligation conversation on how you can make a difference, please contact us via: www.latworkingwithbusiness.com/contact-us/